Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Oh, hey there...

Yikes, I have a blog? Huh? What? I'm supposed to write in it regularly? Whoops. My bad.

So what up, peeps? Talk amongst yourselves, cuz I got nothin. Guess I could give you some same ole, same ole.

Monday, I swam in the morning. ...So much for same ole, ey? Me - in a pool? Can you see planets aligning? Yes, I actually got up early on Monday just to swim. To swim. Me.

I belted out 2200 meters before work then returned to the Y for a weights class.

Wha....? Swimming and weights class? Wait a minute now. When was the last time I did either of those activities, much less on the same day?

Things are looking a little weird around here...

Tuesday was blessedly normal with a five mile run with Yo Beanie at a relaxed 10:05 minute/mile pace. We hadn't seen each other in about a week and a half, and I was thrilled to have a chance to catch up. She just returned from a week at a ranch in Wyoming and was full of interesting stories. Including a picture of her husband on a horse which absolutely cracks me up.

Today, I almost slept through the ridiculously early bike ride that I've dragged others into, but fortunately (?) Scouter woke me. Megan, Richard and Kathryn joined me for a little early morning jaunt. We rode 20 miles, 17.7 mph average. Somehow, what I normally call slight inclines turned into real hills on the second loop and my legs hurt. I reminded myself that it gets better, and predictably, it did. When we stopped.

I spent far too much time chatting in the parking lot with Richard, followed up by far too long chatting pool side with lifeguard Tom, then I finally got into the pool ~ What? The pool again? ~ for 1000m which is all I had time left to do.

I've got to tell you, I cannot swim fast. I literally do not know how to do it - I can't reconcile Som's advice to glide with my interpretation of swimming faster. Which must mean flail about like a crazy person and waste a lot of energy when I try. Case in point, I swam three timed 100s today at 2:09, 2:10, and 2:11 respectively. Yeah, that's the same or slower than my recent 1000 straight pace per 50. Just for fun, I stopped trying to swim fast for the fourth 100 (since clearly it wasn't doing anything but increasing my perceived exertion and tiring me out). Guess what? I clocked 2:05. Does that make any sense? I need some professional advice here. And maybe one day, I will show up at the scheduled TriGirl swim again to get it.

So anyway, that brings us up to the moment in my fun-filled, fascinating training life. I hope you can stand the wait until my next post...

1 comment:

carmen said...

advice gleaned from som

focus on your stroke efficiency
long smooth swimming
often ends up faster
than a more furious stroke

he has also said
one should NOT look like
a giraffe having a seizure!

look forward to seeing you
sunday evening...