Monday, August 20, 2007

Luray - results

A race report for the Luray Oly is forthcoming, but in the interim I'll cut to the chase and give you the results:

Swim: 32:57 34/84 women
T1: 3:57 73/84
Bike: 2:05:31 81/84
T2: 2:21 74/84
Run: 58:54 60/74

I finished 15th/16 age group, 73rd of 84 women, 179th/204 overall.

Now onto the excuses and analysis.

I'm actually happy with my swim time which averaged 2:11 per 100. That's a tiny bit slower than my timed pool swims but given that I had a complete panic attack in the water and breast-stroked most of the first 750m, I'm shocked that I was anywhere close. And very shocked that this was my highest placement in the women's group.

The bike was the leg I was most looking forward to but which turned out to contain the biggest debacle. I had a flat tire 2 - 3 miles before the finish which wiped me out for a good 30 minutes. Thank goodness there was course support. The man who owns the local bike shop came to help me re-change the tire that I had tried to do already (with help) but which had popped my spare tube. After the tube-changing, my bike computer wasn't working but up to that point (mile 23ish), I was averaging 16.9 mph. If I assume the same pace, my bike time would have been 1:28:45 instead of the 2:05:31 that it was.

My transitions sucked. And at the time, I didn't care at all. I felt I needed to take a few minutes to calm down at each transition point.

I'm happy with my run results. My target was to finish the run in under an hour. A 9:30 minute/mile pace is good for me for a 10k, particularly after the other two events.

So, being the nut that I am, I figured out what my standing would have been without the flat: 9/16 age group, 50/84 women, and 137/204 overall. Mid-back of the pack.

At the end of the race, I said I would never do an Olympic distance again, and certainly a half IM was out of the question. Now I'm not so sure... I'd at least like another shot at this course to see what I could do with better open water preparation and (hopefully) no equipment failures.

More to come, including pictures courtesy of my awesome brother-in-law.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just think it's awesome that you did it! You go Tri-Di!! Good job!

Jon said...

Congratulations on just finishing the race. What an accomplishment!
Way to go!

Cyndi said...

Di,

Just read your comment on my blog -- and I'm glad you couldn't tell I was out of it the morning of the race. I was worried that my quietness and pulling away from the group was going to make it simply seem like I was a bitch!! Since we haven't raced together much before you have been fortunate not to experience my typical "pre-race" mojo!! Typically, I'm jittery, absent-minded, ridiculously nervous, feeling like I'm going to throw up, and bouncing around like a loon -- I'm pretty sure most people mistake me for a Special Olympics athlete!!

You did an AWESOME job at the race and looked amazing when you were done!! I totally think you could do a 1/2!! Look how strong your 10k time was!! And imagine what you could have done if you didn't have to lose your groove by changing a flat on the bike!! GREAT race and GREAT cheering team you've got going for you!!! CONGRATS!

Cyndi

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! I don't know that I would even attempt it much less go on after two flats! Jennifer S