Friday, August 17, 2007

Nerves...

I am a bundle of nerves for my first Oly which is ~ gulp ~ tomorrow. A jittery feeling has been building up in my stomach all week and today I have so much nervous energy I can't sit still. I can't imagine what a wreck I will be by tomorrow. Race Day. Yikes!!!

Thanks DB and everyone else for your encouraging words. I think I am far less likely to rock the course than I am to be pulled sputtering from the lake.

I can't believe I contemplated a Half IM earlier this year... what the hell was I thinking? I'm not sure I can get through an Oly for goodness sake.

The one saving grace is that I will have lots of TriGirl company on the course. Some, like Cyndi, I will never see because she will be so far ahead of me from the very beginning. Others will dust me on the swim but - assuming I survive that part - I may see again on the bike.

Oh and my bike... she's bee-you-tee-ful right now. I got her back from Performance yesterday and she looks new again. All the dirt, sand, rain... gone. I had hoped to take her for a little ride yesterday but it was too brutally hot early, then we got hit with torrential downpours and thunderstorms later.

Speaking of which - that was the longest thunderstorm I think I've ever experienced. Lightening and thunder rolled in by 7:30 p.m. and were still going strong at 2 a.m. The kids and I were at the mall - did I mention that my goggles decided to stay another week in the Hamptons? So I had to replace them with (are you ready for this?) pink ones! Anyway, lights starting flickering at the mall so we made a dash for the car. Our power was out when we got home. We put candles everywhere and played games like "I'm thinking of an animal..." The kids thought the storm was cool but didn't want to be alone, so we let them fall asleep on the couches downstairs and we all had a sleepover for awhile.

We're heading to Luray this afternoon. Packet pickup, hopefully meet some TriGirls for dinner, hopefully get some sleep. The best part is that Megan is staying with us tonight so I will have someone with whom to commisserate.

Wish me luck!!!

4 comments:

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

I have pink goggles too :D
Have a great race! Looking forward to hearing the report!

Jonah Holland said...

Good Luck...and yes you can totally do an HIM!

Anonymous said...

You will do awesome! I can't wait to hear how it goes. I wish I had the nerve. JenniferS

Anonymous said...

anxiously awaiting the report....kick butt girl!