Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Context

So my last post may not have made a lot of sense - I'll admit to having a happy buzz going when I wrote it. Breaking my own rule of don't drink and blog. But anyway...

We are vacationing with my college roommate and her family. They live in NYC and have a beautiful second home in the Hamptons. It is gorgeous here.

They have four kids, including twins that are right in between Taz and Rainbow in age, boy/girl. They get along really well even with close quarters and infrequent visits. They also have 2 1/2 year old twins who are absolutely hilarious this year. Fortunately, their nanny is along for the trip.

Speaking of which, their nanny (who admittedly has a language barrier) told me I don't look as chubby this year as I did last year. Which is funny because I actually weigh a little more. Scouter says I'm leaner this year though after one year of training with TriGirls.

Anyway, we have been relaxing by the pool, going to the beach, and yesterday, Jill and I fit in a spa day unexpectedly. I had a deep tissue massage which was fabulous.

We intended to go to the local Y. I was on a mission to find a lap pool to get my swimming in (See, I am really scared!) and this was the closest one. Jill agreed to go with me to hit the machines while I swam. We arrived to find an old, not-very-well maintained facility. I followed signs stating NY State law requires a shower before entering the pool, then I went out on the pool deck... only to find that the pool was actually closed. Apparently a young swimmer had an accident in the pool and it was in the process of getting cleaned and shocked. Instead of swimming, I read a magazine for a bit while Jill finished the elliptical.

Our next scheduled stop was to meet the husbands and kids for pizza. En route, we got a call saying that the restaurant was closed. We were stuck in heavy traffic and would not arrive at their alternate destination until they were finished, so we detoured to another town in search of pizza. This pizza restaurant was closed too, as was the sushi place nearby. We laughed and kept going until we found a little pizza stand - yippee! - where we got excellent chicken parm pizza which we ate by the water. As we were eating, we had the bright idea of getting massages... and miraculously, the spa was not only open but had two concurrent appointments within an hour. We were golden!

I had half-thoughts about swimming after the spa but after a great massage I had rubber bones. We headed home for happy hour - last night's libation of choice was lemon martinis. Yum!

Lest you think I'm a total slacker, I did run yesterday. My Garmin reflected "no signal" at least 90% of the time, so I ran for 60 minutes and assumed that covered the six miles I had to make up from Sunday.

Rainbow is beside me asking when we're going to the beach, so I am off to get ready... more exciting updates to come!!! HA!

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

Massage and libations. Two of my favorite words!