Thursday, April 3, 2008

A non-event for some but a giant step for me

Today I stepped way out of my comfort zone.

You will laugh when I tell you what I did.

I invited a woman I barely know to lunch. I very rarely take the initiative in social situations and I was nervous. I sound like a 14 year old boy, don't I? But seriously for me it was a really big step.

Thank God she said yes and I got some positive reinforcement. We had a really good time and had a lot more in common than I would ever have known otherwise.

I felt strong and confident and empowered.

Going back to school has caused me to do a lot of self-assessment and frankly it's not pretty. So I'm trying to recognize and confront my weaknesses. They are many and social ineptitude is a big one.

Silliness is another.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - the things one learns while reading a blog. I would've never in a million years described you as socially inept!

sq

Unknown said...

There is sooooo a comment here....

TriGirl 40 said...

I agree with SQ, you've always been friendly, inviting and warm in every situation I've seen you in!

M said...

nice job! As a wallflower myself, I can apprecuate the effort!