Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Random Thoughts

I haven't posted for a few days so I have some catching up to do...

Sunday morning (Christmas Eve), I woke up to some lovely snuggle time with my babies. My body was sore from a tough weight workout Fri and a long (for me) bike ride with my new aerobars on Sat. The back of my neck and my right thigh were paricularly vocal. However, I had promised to meet my friend Masha for our regular Sunday morning run, so I pulled on running clothes, grabbed a peanut butter english muffin, and headed out. (Carmen, if you're reading this, note the Oxford comma. :) ) I told Masha I only had about three miles in me, but she dragged me along for four (average speed 8:58/mile) then we had a nice long stretch and hit Starbucks. I had a tasty peppermint mocha and gave Masha her gift - the TriGirl race top that she had been coveting! She is planning to join my training team for 2007 - yeah!

Sunday afternoon, my daughter and I met Masha and her holiday houseguests, including three adorable little girls, at Maymont. It was a beautiful day. I wish I had my daughter's energy! She was running up and down hills, hopping, skipping, jumping - basically constant motion the entire time.

Sunday night, we went to the children's mass at my husband's church. The priest asked the kids what they thought the pope wanted for Christmas. One little boy suggested, "A wife!" which cracked me up (along with the rest of the congregation).

We spent Christmas Eve night and Christmas morning with my parents. Santa got carried away with gifts as usual. My husband seemed very happy with his new bike! He gave me the 2007 training season with TriGirls - just what I wanted! Yippee! We headed up to Northern Virginia on Christmas Day to my husband's parent's house to celebrate with his three brothers, sisters, assorted significant others and nephews. It was a wonderful, chaotic time. My kids were most exited about seeing their cousins. We really need to get out of our day to day rut and visit them more often.

The day after Christmas, we went into DC with my father in law to visit the Botanical Gardens and the Native American museum. Both were fabulous, especially the historical building replicas at the Botanical Gardens. I am amazed that so much is available in DC for free. We had a nightmare journey home that took twice as long as it should because traffic was so heavy. I slept most of the way and my kids vegged to High School Musical so it actually only sucked for my poor husband, the driver.

In case you're wondering when I fit workouts in... I didn't. I took two days off, ate and drank with abandon, and feel refreshed today and ready to go back at it. I'm heading to the Y after work this afternoon for the unknown! Perhaps I will take a class, perhaps I will do the weight room, maybe I will even swim... tune in tomorrow as the saga continues! Ha ha!!!