Friday, December 22, 2006

Friday Weight Workout

Once again, I slept in with my kiddies and didn't make it to the Y this morning. I did however make it up this afternoon! My office closed early for the holidays, so I did 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer and 45 minutes of free weights, followed by some nice stretching. I started weight training probably 12 years ago. My brother in law lived in Richmond at the time and convinced me to try Mike's Olympic Gym in Mechanicsville. It was a great recommendation! I learned a lot about form and technique that I haven't seen anywhere else. Mike made customized workouts for me every three months, and he and his trainers were always on the floor checking form, encouraging, and generally helping people out.

My old job used to be near Mike's gym, but once I switched jobs (10 years ago) I went to other gyms. None offered the same level of instruction as Mike's but I had a great foundation from which to work. Over the last few years, I have been going to a BodyShape class at the Y which is focused on women. It is typically low weights, high reps. The advantage is that it forces me to work every body part (I tend to skip upper body on my own, especially biceps and triceps).

When I was pregnant with my son, now 6, I worked out the whole time. I was in an ultimate step aerobics class one day, and a lady asked me when I was due. At my response of "four days ago," she said she'd never have an excuse to skip a class again! But, alas, after I had him, I had a hard time finding time to work out. Then I was pregnant with my daughter so quickly - my kids are 15 months apart - going to the gym became nearly impossible. Sleep was a far bigger priority! When she was about a year old, I started going to the Y during lunch from work. It was a pain at first, but I soon got in the habit. When she was about 2, I realized that I still weighed almost as much as I had when I was pregnant. Horrifying! For how many years can extra weight be classified as baby weight?!? Slowly, I changed my eating habits and lost 17 1/2 pounds - back to the weight I was before my son. I lost a little more for a total of 19. I've kept it off for almost two years now, although I must admit that I am about 7 pounds heavier right now. Since I started a new job in Oct, I have been gaining weights. I need to reign it in!

I have to admit that I'd really like to lose another 10 pounds, but it is not realistic. I do not have the willpower or discipline to maintain that much weight loss. And I think I could weigh 90 pounds and still have football player legs... but that is the subject of another post! Or perhaps years of intense therapy...