Saturday, December 23, 2006

Gorgeous Saturday

Today, yes Dec. 23, it was 67 degrees! A perfect day for a bike ride, don't you think? Since I have only ridden on my bike with clipless pedals and aerobars once for about 10 minutes in my cul-de-sac, I decided to drive to a nearby office park that has low car traffic and lots of other bikers and runners on the weekend before starting my ride. I did two loops, including circling one of the businesses in the park, for a total of 20 miles. That is a long bike ride for me and close to my longest ever! I had been averaging 15.9 miles per hour before. Today I did 16.7 with the pedals and aerobars - so I think they are worth it! I didn't have to clip out until the end of my ride. I clipped my left shoe out, coasted to a stop, and immediately my bike tipped right. Yikes! Fortunately, I wrenched my right foot out of the clips before I busted my ass on the pavement. It wouldn't be the first time...

Now I'm feeling a little creaky. My neck was sore from the new aerobar position and my right inner thigh is hurting. Hopefully I'll feel better after a few glasses of wine tonight...

Happy Eve of Christmas Eve!