Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Weekend Update (continued)

Okay so before I regale you with stories of how precious my new nephew is, let me just tell you what fuels my best workouts. I have to write it down so I can duplicate it come race day.

Yesterday for lunch I had most of a super-nutritious pint of Ben & Jerry's mega fat New York Super Fudge Chunk ice cream. No, not the light shit. The real deal. I would have eaten the whole thing but I thought 1200 calories was just a tad excessive. I wanted to though.
I followed that up with a reasonably healthy dinner of a sirloin salad and half a bottle of Merlot. Slept like a rock, got up, had two sips of water and ran.

Ironically, I felt a lot better than I did in the race Sunday. I ran five miles at an average pace of 9:15 min/mile. Does that make any sense at all?!?

Clearly, I'm in need of a nutrition clinic... fortunately, Grandison has me covered as always. TriGirls are holding one tonight.

So anyway, Sunday after I so abruptly left the scene of the race (calling encouragement out of my car window to TriGirls on the course like the big loser I am), I zipped home and got ready for the trip to Northern Virginia. Thanks to all the writing on my billboard-body, I had to wear a dress with a long skirt and sleeves. (Totally worth it by the way to sport TRIGIRLS ROCK on my calf...) Fortunately we made it with time to spare, but south bound traffic looked horrible. I-95 is a disaster.

Scouter's brother and his wife are almost exactly where we were a few short years ago with kids so close in age. They have a just-turned-two year old and a 2 1/2 month old. My guys are 15 months apart - yes, we are insane! And if we weren't before, we totally are now. As much as I loved those days when they were babies, I'm glad that my children are more self-sufficient now.

The baptism ceremony at the church was a special event just to baptise four babies, so it was really specific and fast. We were joking that the priest must have had another engagement because he started the service before the parents were even ready. It was very nice though and Scouter is a proud godfather.

My brother and sister in law hosted us all at their house afterwards. Scouter is the oldest of five and it was great to catch up with his brothers, sister and parents. In addition to my kids and the two little ones, my 13 year old nephew Ryan was there. Taz and Rainbow idolize him. Also my sister-in-law's family including four kids ages 7 to 22 months were there.

Taz spent most of the day playing football, throwing a baseball, or playing video games with Ryan. Rainbow just wanted to hold the baby. She loves babies! She thinks I need to have at least two more. I can't really give her the same response that I give Scouter's mother, which is that she can tell it to his next wife, so I just say "We'll see." Which she knows usually means NO.

At one point, as Rainbow was sitting on the floor holding the baby, the two year old started tugging on his mom, reaching to be picked up, then pointing to the baby. He doesn't talk much yet but he clearly conveyed that he wanted her to pick up the baby - and when she did, he immediately planted himself in Rainbow's lap! She ate that up. And it gave me a minute to hold the baby - yeah!!!!

Rainbow and I slept most of the way home, then the kids and I all piled in my bed when we got home. Scouter just loves that!

All in all, another good weekend.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

maybe the beer bottle hit my head, too haha. so sorry about the massive marking on your leg.

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Now THAT is a menu I can get behind : D