Wednesday, July 11, 2007

At the half way point...

I've been analyzing my statistics for the first 26 weeks of the year, comparing actual to goal. I can be a little anal, in case you haven't noticed, and I do love my numbers. Well, not the actual numbers but the process of tracking/analyzing anyway...

Actually, you should probably just skip this post. I'm guessing you figured that out already.

So anyway, just for me, here are my results for the first half of the year:

Run: 279.5 miles, goal achieved 21 of 26 weeks (81%)
Swim: 36,800 meters, 18/26 weeks (69%)
Cycle: 788.5 miles, 24/26 weeks (92%)
Weights: 39 times, 17/26 weeks (65%)
Yoga: 17 times, 16/26 weeks (67%)

Hmmm, not great. I'm surprised that my cycling stats are so high but I think that is less representative of good consistency and more indicative of a goal that is too low (only 12.5 miles per week which equals one spin class. Lame.)

Last year, I ran a lot more but I wasn't swimming or cycling nearly as much. Actually, I wasn't really swimming or cycling at all in the first half of 2006. And my June numbers were abysmal with all my injuries.

I need to reassess the goals themselves for the second half of the year to better align them with my overall goals. This is the year of the bike for me, after all. I'm basing my new goals on my upcoming events which are the Luray Olympic Triathlon in August and the Heart of Virginia two day cycling event in September where I hope to ride a metric century (100k/62 miles) the first day and 40 miles the second. Both are huge events for me.

New goals for the third quarter:
Run: Was 10 miles/week. I'm actually averaging only 10.75/week but I need to step it up in the third quarter to train for Luray. New goal: 15 miles/week.

Swim: Was 1600 meters/week. Lame, but sadly realistic. Once my finger is well enough that I can swim again (hopefully next week), I really need to be in the pool twice a week to regain fitness and prepare for Luray. New goal: 3200 meters/week.

Bike: Was 12.5 miles per week. Actually averaging 30. Need to significantly step up activity to train adequately for Heart of Va. New goal: 40 miles/week.
Weights: Was twice per week. I've given up my Friday weights class because it was killing me on my long Saturday rides or bricks, but I'd like to fit that second weight training session in somewhere because (1) I think it helps the triathlon disciplines and (2) it is my favorite. So same goal, 2x/week.

Yoga: Was once per week. This is tricky because I love it but it is the first to go when my other training intensifies or I have a busy week. Sadly, I think I'm going to have to give this one up for the short term. Perhaps my new goal will be once/month although I question if it's even worth it. Sigh.

You may have noticed that I totally bagged my nutrition goals very early in the year. I'm going to get back on that wagon and try to eat more fruits and vegetables, including a salad at least fives days per week. My recent vacation (and post-vacation) binging has made me disgusted with myself so I am ready to recommit. Grandison has made July the month of nutritional advice on the TriGirl forum which is great motivation as well. I really need to make smarter choices in this area.

Alright, let's see how it goes from here...

No comments: