Monday, July 23, 2007

Weekend Recap

Hang with me, there's gonna be a race report in here somewhere...

What a gorgeous weekend weather-wise! For context, Richmond in mid-July usually brings oppressive heat and humidity with temperatures in the 90s and a heat index in the high 90s to 100s. This weekend, we had temperatures in the mid-80s with lower humidity. Glorious!

The kids and I spent Friday with Cate, Jackie, and kids at my friend (and fellow TriGirl) Jennifer's lovely home on the river. Rainbow in particular idolizes Jennifer's daughter, and both kids love to go to the river. We had a great, relaxing afternoon, then Cate & I headed back to the pool tempted by the promise of an easy dinner since they were having a cook out. We had dinner and cocktails pool-side while the kids became increasingly water logged. Great fun.

Somehow in the course of all this relaxing, I managed to pull a muscle in my back. Yeah I know - I hadn't injured myself in at least a week so clearly I was due. I originally hurt this particular muscle a year or so ago lifting weights and the only thing that helps is rest and time.

Sadly, one night was not enough rest or time. After an uncomfortable night, I decided that a tough cycling and running brick on Saturday morning was not the smartest move so I skipped my TriGirl workout. I am so woefully unprepared for my first Olympic in four short weeks that it is not even funny.

Saturday was spent running errands - grocery store, bank, gift-buying, cards... and oh yeah, packet pickup! Rainbow went with me and it was great to see TriGirls JRo, Melissa, and Renae, and to meet RTC president Erin.

Taz had a really rough day on Saturday which resulted in unpleasant times all around at home. He is going through a hopefully short-lived phase of not listening AT ALL. Or better stated, of perhaps hearing what is told to him in reverse because he does the exact opposite. Example: "Taz, don't throw the ball into the window again." Taz responds by winging the ball directly at the window and nearly breaking it. Then insisting, "I didn't HEAR you!" His bad behavior prevented any potential evening festivities we may have had which was actually good for me as I needed to get to bed early for...

RACE DAY! Sunday was the Shady Grove Sprint Tri and I was representin' on a relay with Annnn and her husband. Thomas swam, Annnnn biked, and I ran. What fun!

We met up at the Shady Grove Y bright and early on Sunday morning, got body marked (thanks Melissa for the huge TRI GIRLS ROCK down my left calf...), picked up our timing chip, then hung out with other fun TriGirls who were doing the event. I think there were more TriGirls volunteering than participating and it was great to see everyone - especially Grandison and sweet baby Hayes.

Thomas and Annnn rocked the swim and bike courses respectively, then passed the baton to me for the run portion. I have to say I was more pumped than I expected to be and the longer I waited to start, the more jacked I became. Annnn passed me the timing chip at T2 and I took off like a shot. I even remembered to (1) bring my Garmin, (2) wear my Garmin, and (3) start my Garmin! Quite unusual... Early in the first mile, two people blasted past me like I was standing still. I checked my pace - 7:09. What?!?!? Damn those people were fast. And hey, if I wanted to finish I'd better check my own pace. I settled down a bit and hit the one mile mark at 8:31. That's fast for me on the first mile.

For the first half of the out-and-back, I was just chugging along. There were lots of great TriGirl volunteers along the way like the ever-encouraging Cheryl, as well as strangers who yelled "Go TriGirl!" which I love. I hit the turn, grabbed some water and headed back.

At that point I became hyper-aware of my loud locomotive-sounding breathing and it was very distracting. I really need to train at least some without my iPod so that I'm used to the sound on race day. It was annoying and probably limited me more than it should have. Running is mostly a mind game with me anyway.

Nonetheless, I felt like I had a decent return run but somewhere along the way I lost some speed because my average time was 8:38/mile. I'd promised Annn sub-8:30 so I let the team down. Fortunately, we were in it for the fun since we finished 7th of 8 relay teams!!! There were some lightning fast participants on some of those other teams. And hey we dominated too... on transitions. HA! (Particularly impressive since Thomas and Annnn were transitioning not only a timing chip but a baby as well! We should get bonus points for that!)

Scouter topped his own pre-race encouragement from the last race ("We're not coming.") with an even better one - "If you're not home by 10, we're leaving without you." So I had to boogie home shortly after the finish... missed seeing a lot of finishes and the team picture... wah.

But more about the fun day to come seeing family at my sweet little nephew's baptism...

4 comments:

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Yay for remembering the Garmin! I'm the queen of forgetting to use my watch (or reset my bike computer) in races. I generally figure it out halfway through the bike leg when I'm trying to check my pacing : )

carmen said...

glad you made it home on time
it was good to see you in all your trigirl glory!

Anonymous said...

You were AWESOME on Sunday! Any time you want to relay, you let me know, but we probably need to replace our bike leg. . . .

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

You Rocked! Though, I am glad your hubby didn't leave you, I wish you could have hung out:)