Sunday, August 1, 2010

Mighty Week

This past week was insane for me. I'd like to think I can maintain - dare I say even build upon it? But I think we all know me better than that. Anyway...

Last Saturday, I wanted to do a long ride. Even though the forecast was for 105 degrees (and I'm not even kidding), Dave, Patty and I got an early start and rode 52 miles, 17.5 average speed. We hit quite a few rolling hills and I felt pretty good until the last 10 or so miles. Then I started getting chills and had no legs left. When I finally got home, I ate everything in sight, took a shower, and crashed on the couch for a couple hours. And then I went to watch Taz and his All Stars team win their 9 year old baseball tournament! Woo hoo!!!! And then we all went out with the team and drank way too much. His coach even made me do a tequila shot which even if I hadn't been dehydrated would have been a very bad idea.

But I digress...

Sunday was equally hot and I was not quite as energetic as I had been the day before. Oddly, I had a bit of a headache. So the kids and I hit the pool. I swam 1600 meters with only a few interruptions from the kids.

Monday, Dave and I biked 20. We both complained of tired legs but still managed a respectable 18.1 pace. That boy is amazing. And he is determined to make me better on hills. I keep telling myself that what doesn't kill me will make me stronger.

I had to run Tuesday to report back to the voodoo doctor I'm seeing now for my back at my appointment that afternoon, so I forced myself out of bed and ran four miles. Physically, I felt pretty good. Mentally, I was not into it at all. Wil (the vodoo doctor aka therapeutic massage/alternative medicine dude) beat the crap out of me that afternoon and hopefully fixed more stuff. He is fantastic. Especially if you are into pain. (Check him out at http://www.themethuselahcenter.net/).

My Wednesday morning bike posse met as usual at 5:45 a.m. I had asked everyone to please be on time because my schedule was very tight that morning. Dave took that as license to ride - and push me - as hard as possible. We did 16 miles at a 19.7 mph pace! Dave's Garmin said 20 mph but he was as always a little faster than me so I'm sticking with my stat. And I would never have even done that if I hadn't glued myself to Robert's wheel for much of the ride. It was a good start to the day!

Thursday I ran again, this time 4.5 miles. I still felt a little sore from my beating Tuesday but I am able to run again without pain! Very exciting. I had planned to swim Thurs night but a very major late afternoon thunderstorm threatened my good intentions. The kids and I finally headed to the pool around 7:15 and were surprised to find it open. Guess I had to swim then... They played while I swam an uninterrupted (until the very end) 2000 meters - my longest swim literally in years. I did it without stopping to prove to myself that I can live through 1.2 miles of the half. To simulate race conditions, I interjected some breastroke into my set.

Friday was supposed to be my rest day, but since we were going out of town that night, I wanted to get at least some of my Sat brick. Deanna rode River Road with me - 22 miles at 18.1 mph average. I should have gone further, and I should have run a little bit afterwards, but I had to be home early than I anticipated so that was it.

Still, 110 miles of biking, 8.5 miles of running, and 3600 meters of swimming in one week is damn good for me.
.

No comments: