Monday, August 23, 2010

Mighty Brick

I feel kind of like Robin - "Holy Brick, Batman!"

Finally this week I did a brick workout following... wait for it.... a rest day! What a difference! Not that I felt great, mind you, but I didn't feel like I was going to die. This was my third brick so perhaps that had something to do with it as well.

Saturday morning, Georgia, Richard and Patty met me bright and early for a 30 mile bike ride. Georgia was in charge of route planning and she picked a tough one! We did an out and back that had us on Millers and Shallow Well both ways for some good rolling hill action. My average speed wasn't stellar but I got it done.

Then Patty kindly ran with me! We did a slow six mile loop through West Creek. Again, nothing speedy, but the miles are in the bank. At the end, I felt like I could have kept going if I had to. Really I did have to, since my training plan called for 12, but I had only planned to do six so mentally I was done.

This week, I really tried to work on my nutrition and I think it went pretty well. I never felt hungry or thirsty, even at the very end. I am usually starving coming out of the swim though so I will be at more of a nutritional deficit in the actual race.

My kids wanted to go to the pool Saturday afternoon, and after a shower and some rest, I finally agreed. It was crowded and we hung out for awhile. Then when the crowd thinned, I got some mojo and swam laps. I was interrupted a few times including a big break to chat with a friend but ended up swimming 1600.

So I can do all three events in a day... if I could cut the course in half and have 12 hours to do it, I would be fine!

But as Susie says, there is still time....
.

No comments: