Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dilemma

So, I am in a bit of a quandry.

I can't decide whether I should do an aqua-velo for the half iron I foolishly signed up for, or suck it up and do the whole thing even though I will be walking a good portion of the run. Another option is to have my friend Susan run for me as a relay, which she has agreed to do - even though she strongly encourages me to do it myself.

My training has been lame. Running has probably been the worst, as I injured my back in April and couldn't run again until the end of July. According to my training plan, my longest run to date should be 16 miles. It is 7 1/2. I don't want to build up too fast and hurt myself even worse, or hurt something else.

Almost as bad has been my swim training, mainly because it is my least favorite. Especially since I have to do it at my local community pool. Typically, I have to fight with multiple people for the one paltry little lap lane, and then get jumped on by kids. The worst was when an entire boy scout troop overtook the lane with no notice while I was in it. I discovered their presence when one dove directly into my side. Good times, good times. I didn't start swimming until a few weeks ago, and at best have swum twice in one week. Usually I make it once, and then either laziness or lightening takes me down for the second scheduled swim.

The bike is... well, the bike. I love it. I'm good riding 56 miles, I think, even though my actual longest ride has been 52.

Perhaps the final relevant point is that this is too much race for me. I doubt that I will ever sign up for this distance again. That goes both ways - do it because this is it... or skip the run because this is just too much race.

I ask you my friends: what would you do if you were me?
.

2 comments:

REB60 said...

I think you should do it because you can. You still have time to get up to a 10/12 mile run. Get a few swims in and then just gut it out. You can do this!

Unknown said...

I agree - you still have time. You don't need to decide now - see how things go over the next few weeks. :)