Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Is it time to race yet?

As you know, I haven't been on my bike much over the last year. If I ride once per month, it is a very good thing.

But now that school is over, I'm hoping hoping hoping to have more time to bike. And run. And hey I may even get crazy and swim. Or not.

Last Friday night, I got an email from TriGirl Richard asking about availability for a ride on Saturday. We emailed back and forth and finally settled on a time, meeting spot, and route. I was so excited! I hadn't ridden my bike since I got the tires and chain replaced... in April.

And who else should show up Sat morning but Kermit? My original posse, reunited! And probably all equally undertrained.

We set off at a leisurely pace, commiserate with our current abilities, chatting and catching up. We continued to laugh and chat all the way up to Ashland. As we made the turn and started back, we spotted a large group of cyclists in front of us. They were pretty spread out and fairly far ahead.

Suddenly, I was in race mode. I shot down into aero position and started peddling with all I had. As I called "on your left" and whipped past the first pair, I felt exhilarated. I also realized, panting, that I'm not in shape for this game.

I slowed down and waited for the boys. I suggested that someone else lead. Kermit obliged but a few minutes later, he took off. I was right behind him. We caught a couple more groups and he asked if I was happy now. But there were still bikers in front of us! I jumped in the lead with Kermit on my wheel and we rode down every one of them.

We finally stopped to wait for Richard who rode casually up to us a few minutes later, laughing and shaking his head. And then he pulled us to the finish line.

I don't think I'm competitive. But clearly the evidence proves otherwise.

Now I'm thinking about what races I could fit in my schedule this year, and whether I can make the time to train for them.

I'm definitely doing the Big Nut tri and I'd like to do Heart of Virginia metric century cycling event.

Oh the possibilities!!!
.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm hoping to do the Heart of Va too...if I can ever get back in shape...

TriGirl 40 said...

I heard you were a demon on that bike this weekend.

Would love to do the Heart of Virginia with you - and maybe even the Big Nut.