Monday, July 28, 2008

This Weekend at the Lake

My titles are so very creative, aren’t they?!?!

Months ago, Cate, Beanie and I scheduled a weekend with our families at Cate’s parent’s amazing lake house. Thank goodness we did because all our summers have been so busy that we’ve barely seen each other!

Cate, Beanie and families arrived early for some play time at the lake and, apparently, many many cocktails. By the time we arrived, everyone was very happy. Loopy, even. We hung out on the dock for awhile and caught up. I was so tired and was shocked to find that although I thought I was going to bed early, it was actually 1 a.m. following several margaritas and lots of girl talk. Fortunately, I felt okay the next morning. I can’t say the same about my two girlfriends!

Saturday morning, they slept and I ran while the boys took the kiddies fishing and out on the boat for some tubing. After an intermission to jet ski, where Scouter tried to launch me from my seat, we all went out on the boat in the afternoon. Taz couldn’t wait to try knee-boarding. He practiced near the shore and was ready to go once he got on the board behind the boat. He did great! He also wanted to try water skiing which didn’t go so well. He popped up but kept going forward, getting a face full of lake. Whoops! Rainbow surprised me by wanting to knee board too, and she also popped right up and had a great ride. Both of them had big smiles on their faces the whole time.

Once all the kids who wanted to had an opportunity to knee board or ski, the adults got in the mix with water skis. Scouter went first. He is a hot dog on skis, constantly cutting back and forth through the wake and trying to race the boat. When it was my turn, I couldn’t wait and leaped in the lake. I have always slalom-skied and can’t really ski on two skis as a result, so Rainbow thought I was the best skier because I dropped one (tee hee). I mostly stayed behind the boat but I did blow through the wake a few times just to see if I could still do it. It was a blast!

By the time we finished dinner that night, I thought I was going to fall asleep standing up. Somehow I managed to rally for longer than I thought before I collapsed into bed, fully anesticized. (Which I’ve spelled so badly that spell check can’t even figure out what I mean – hopefully, you can.)

The next day, we got to do it all again. Well, except for the running and the skiing for me. I had more of a lazy day on the boat watching the kids knee board, then we lounged on the dock for awhile before we had to head home. We were teasing Cate’s husband about being our activity director for the weekend. He is quite good at it! Very, very fun.

My grandparents had a river house so I grew up spending summers at the river, water skiing, fishing, and crabbing. What a great way to spend the summer as a kid! My parents have the house now and I’m thinking they need to buy a ski boat… for the grandchildren, you know!

No comments: