Saturday, October 24, 2009

Committed

The last triathlon I did was the Giant Acorn (aka "Big Nut") two years ago. The last event I did was the Shamrock half marathon in 2008. It's been two years since I swam a stroke and more than 18 months since I did a race.

I really thought my grad school hiatus would end with graduation. I even pondered a few late summer and fall events. But nothing seemed to work with my schedule. Hence my motivation has been lacking.

Actually, I did a fair amount of cycling this summer - but lack of daylight and too-busy weekends have effectively put an end to that.

So I need a goal.

And now I have one! I signed up for a 14k race in Va. Beach on Valentine's weekend. I'm doing it with my brother-in-law and several good friends (thank you Annn and DB!) in honor of his friend John Kainer. John is an awesome guy who lost his 11 year battle with brain cancer last year. Part of the proceeds for this event go to his medical bills and his family. It is a great cause and I can't wait to participate.

Now I need to get off my fat butt and run. And I'm on a streak this week: I ran Thursday and again today. Woo hoo! Impressive, ey?

Both runs made me realize how badly I need new shoes, so I finally ordered some today. Either that or I'm too old for this foolishness. My body hurts. Not sore muscles either, although there is a little bit of that going on. More like achy back and just general malaise. Hopefully nothing that a little fitness won't fix!

Total aside - today while I was running I saw the funniest (in an odd way) thing - this clearly out-of-shape man (not that I have room to talk) was working out with weights beside the pond. His friend - clearly not his trainer - was sitting on a bench beside him, smoking a cigarette. Now that's not something you see every day. Or anything, frankly, that I'd ever want to see again.

But anyway...

I'm also talking a big game about the Mighty Man half iron next year. TG40 is pretty convincing! It is still a year away so I'm very bold... now! When realization sets in, I suspect I will be a nervous wreck.

But for now I'm excited and hopefully motivation will follow!
.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog makes me laugh out loud - right up there with CJ and Annn... funny ladies :)