Sunday, March 28, 2010

Getting My Ass Handed to Me on the Bike

Well friends the first (and thus far, only) bike ride of the year is in the books.

Actually, it was about a month ago but I'm just getting around to writing about it. And sadly, it is still the only ride of the year. Thus far. I'm certain that will change... one day...

Anyway, I did my usual thing and committed myself to a ride when it was still many days away and sounded fun. And then I realized that yes, I am still badly out of shape, and oh by the way the forecast called for 30 degrees at 10 a.m. Yikes!

Jennifer wisely never committed. Annnn and Richard chickened out. They will henceforth be known as Waaaaann (like WAH!) and... hmmmm, the only word I can think of for Richard is derogatory to women and one I don't normally use. Will have to work on that.

Susan and Dave braved the weather with me and truth be told forced me to go. We did the Goochland loop from West Creek.

Once upon a time, I could ride that loop at a decent pace and want to do it again when it was over. How I long for last summer. It feels so distant now.

This time? Not so much. The hill out of Cap One nearly killed me - and that's after I fell into the security gate and hurt myself. Graceful I am not. Susan jumped into the lead and never again lost it. And she is injured!

Dave kindly stuck with me for the whole loop, sandbagging. At multiple points, we couldn't even see Susan. She waited for us a few times and then finally gave up and started walking her bike beside me.

Okay, I made that part up - but it's not far from the truth.

Perhaps this will galvanize me to attempt to get back in shape, kind of like the Good Friday ride I did last year where everyone and their infant cousin dropped me.

Or maybe I will continue my sloth like ways and find a slower crowd to hang with.

Ceej, you in?
.

3 comments:

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

douche. that is the word you are looking for. I don't think it gets used enough.

Ceeej said...

Annn LOVED the last line of this. Me, well, not so much. Truth hurts though, so if I wasn't working, I'd say let's do a Good Friday ride....

I could be convinced to do ONE West Creek loop Saturday morning. But I have a 1:30 tee time, so....

TriGirl 40 said...

I heard quite a different story from Dave - heard you were totally kicking everyone else's butt!