Saturday, July 3, 2010

Calling MightyB out for the Sandbagger that she is

I've been riding with MightyB for a few years. She likes to hang at the back of the pack and never ever lead it. On the rare occasion that she does end up in front, she blasts ahead of everyone else unintentionally. And when the group includes other fast people, she is right there hanging with them. So I know she is a superstar in sandbagger clothing.

But she really brought home how good she is on Thursday night.

The two of us met at West Creek to take advantage of gorgeous weather and do the Goochland loop. For the first few minutes, we were warming up and chatting. And then we hit the first hill. MightyB pulled away from me like I was standing still. When I finally caught her, she mentioned casually that she was working on hills. Hmmm, I think maybe she's got it...

We hit the gates at CapOne soon after. I blasted through while MB went through them more cautiously, giving me a rare opportunity to ride ahead. I giggled as I pulled out an ill-gotten lead. Mere moments later, however, MB caught me.

On the next hill, we passed a tricked-out solo cyclist. As we passed him, he told me to catch MB. As if. I laughed.

He passed me back on the next hill and told me again to get moving and catch her. He rode on and we did a slightly different route. Soon, though, he was passing me again. At this point, MB was well ahead of me. Conte dude (he had a lot more sponsors on his jersey, but to be honest this is the main one I saw - not because it was the most prominent but because it was on his ass) told me to grab his wheel and he would help me catch up with her. I did and hung on. He caught her, waved me behind her, and zipped around.

And that's when he learned that I knew of which I spoke. She grabbed his wheel and the two of them were off to the races. Seriously, I had a sip of water and couldn't even see them again when I looked forward.

Again MB waited for me. We hit the half way point, turned around, and did it all again. In total we rode 26 miles.

Mighty B is a big sandbagger.

Just putting it out there.
.

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

You crack me up. If only! That dude just annoyed me a bit. Looking forward to many more Mighty rides with you this summer and fall!